She is OUR daughter

We made it, she is our girl. The judge signed the papers. We were surrounded by family and friends. It was beautiful. It was hectic, chaotic, surreal and yet beautiful.

My family and I met my parents, a family friend, and one of my sisters at a 'MAX' stop (that is our rail transit) and we headed to downtown Portland. At one point my husband told me what time it was and my heart fell. I knew in that instant we were going to be late. LATE? To our daughters adoption ceremony? I couldn't believe. I have not felt that sick to my stomach in so long. Once off the MAX me, my daughter in-law and two of my girls walked (pushing strollers) as fast as we could to the courthouse. When we got there the line going through security was L-O-N-G. The jurors were coming back from lunch. Oh how I wanted them to realize how much more important our business in that court house was! (lol) so we took our turn. Both my daughter in law and I beeped...ugh! I had to remove my shoes...she had to remove her belt. We got through, took the elevator to the second floor and flew down the hallway to the courtroom. We go flying in and my pastor greets us...says, "they haven't asked for you guys yet." whew!!! To my surprise....there were so many of our church family there! WOW! Also in attendance was our caseworker and one of our favorites SSA's (the person who transported BG to visits). It was breath taking and touching. The judge comes and asks for me to come forward...but I had to inform her not everyone was there. Yikes! That is unsettling..she moved onto some cases. Then the rest of us straggled in. My husband with his boots untied, sweat on his head and his belt in his hand. If I had not be so over the top flipped would have been funny at the time.

Finally, my husband and I were called forward, the judge signed, the judge stated BG's full new name and everyone cheered and were taken. The judge handed BG a stuffed animal and me a box of cookies and napkins. Less than 5 minutes and it was over. We headed to the hall where there were laughs and more pictures. My kids were all so happy and excited. Later BG kept saying in her 2yr old voice "Mama and Papa adopt me." we would say, "Yes baby...Mama and Papa adopted you!" Sweet baby.

The following Sunday we dedicated her to our Almighty God in front of our church family. It was sweet and special and she cried through the WHOLE thing. Lovely! She is two after all. We had a lovely happy reception afterwards. The events of that week were glorious. I can't explain (those who have been through it know) how it felt to have that finalized. She is Gods first and ours second! But let me talk no more...let me introduce our baby to you...
Phoenix Marie Porter
(she will still be referred to as BG)

p.s. We only changed her last name.


Popular posts from this blog

I'm already 49?!?!?